Installation Project Manager
Reports to: Installation Manager
- This position manages all aspects of installation and industry standard testing & troubleshooting, related to DCS products and their function within the SAN and Enterprise data center environment.
- Acts as company Liaison in accordance with established data center procedures and policies of our customers.
- Ensures maximum quality, peak performance, and reliability of all fiber optic cabling within a data center environment.
- This position will be responsible for multiple assigned installation projects, with multiple technicians of different technician levels.
- Adhere to drawings, scope of work and DCS standards for all portions of customer installations, new builds and/or retrofits.
- Manage, audit, and enforce DCS’ established project procedures and policies within the day-to-day management of installations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for successful implementation of all aspects of complex fiber optic infrastructure installation projects.
- Implement and maintain DCS’ workmanship and best practice standards and Fiber Optic Testing Procedures (FOTP) during all installations.
- Maintain detailed site documentation including floor plans, elevations, labeling documents, plug charts and cut sheets.
- Coordinate all installation activities in assigned Data Centers with DCS management and support leadership in continual improvement of implementation policy, standards, and procedures.
- Monitor, communicate, and perform corrective actions to resolve problems affecting the fiber related infrastructure.
- Serve as on call escalation for emergency issues and technical support as needed.
- Record and document fiber installations including cable routing, central, zone and equipment footprints and elevations.
- Coordinate, review, and schedule with other DCS internal departments all pre and post installation procedures and documentation.
- Perform quality control inspections during installation.
- Must be able perform all technician’s functions related to installation and delegate accordingly.
- Responsible for all aspects of cable removal activities.
- Maintain familiarity with and enforce all workplace safety requirements.
- Familiar with all industry standards, best practices, and current local and NEC codes.
- Provide updated and accurate correspondence in a timely manner regarding pre and post SOW process and procedure
- Reporting project completion status after each workday, as well as ensuring that paperwork and test results are uploaded in the Installation folder within three days of project completion.
- Manage and maintain on-line shared file system through “DCS Connect” all associated project documentation.
- Ability to configure and install structured cabling and cable management systems to meet customer requirements and adhere to air-flow requirements as well as cable
management standards. This includes racks, cabinets and bays and proper tile cut designs and raised floor grommet systems used.
- Prepare and distribute project tracking reports.
- Work as part of a team recognizing that for Data Center Systems to be successful, it requires a teamwork attitude from all groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position may direct the various install technician’s performance of duties on projects.
- Lead, assign, train, schedule and oversee work of facilities technicians.
- Supervise one or more technicians in the performance of day-to-day tasks.
- Establish and evaluate appropriate training and safety requirements for staff.
- Provide performance feedback as required to management on project status and
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative, but not exclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Travel to remote data centers required.
- Must be willing to work rotating hours as needed and may require working various shifts.
Education and Experience
A minimum two-year degree technical or equivalent, or a minimum of (3) three years related experience and/or training. Experience leading multiple technicians over multiple projects is preferred. Data Center experience is preferred.
Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex project documents, AutoCAD, Visio, and PDF documents. Ability to project manage effectively and apply DCS installation standards and project tracking/management documents “Project SOW” process. Ability to effectively respond, verbally or written, to sensitive issues, complex inquiries, or complaints. Ability to make effective presentations and respond to questions from customers, strategic partners, and managers. Requires a focus on commitment to Customer Service, whether co-workers or customers.
Other Skills and Abilities Preferred
Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure with a proactive approach to unusual occurrences. Requires good organizational skills, attention to detail and openness to new ideas and procedures. Experience with Visio and all MS Office software applications.
- Excellent working knowledge of fiber optics and fiber optic test equipment, including Fluke Tester and Scope.
- Minimum of (2) two years’ fiber optic installation or assembly experience in a Data Center environment.
- Understanding of fiber optic installation and testing standards as well as design layout best practices.
- Ability to use Fluke Network equipment as required to test and document installations.
Working conditions are normal for a data center environment.
- Willingness to work frequent nights and weekends, due to data center schedules.
- 75-80% Travel for 3-5 days at a time, required.
- Available for 7/24 support and flexible shift scheduling.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
To become the world-wide leader of storage and network connectivity products/solutions for large enterprise data centers.
To be the trusted advisor for storage and network connectivity solutions by combining our unique products, technical expertise, and services that exceed our customers’ expectations.
To create a culture, and a company that changes the lives of our coworkers, customers, and community.